Villarreal – Espanyol Prediction
LaLiga – Round 20. Villarreal – Espanyol Prediction, Odds and Betting Tips.
- Villarreal are presented with an opportunity to stay in touch with the top six against a team that haven’t won here since 2014/15. The hosts snapped a three-game La Liga (LL) winless run at home before Christmas by converting a fourth straight 0-0 half-time result at Estadio de la Cerámica into their second home win ‘to nil’ of the season.
- No team has witnessed more half-time draws at home than Villarreal (HT: W2, D7), with just six first-half goals scored or conceded before the break. Contrast that with a league-high 24 goals at either end in the second half, and it is easy to see how five of Villarreal’s nine LL home games have produced over 3.5 goals despite those quiet starts.
- Espanyol have also seen more goals scored after the break, with a league-worst second-half goal difference of -16 (at any venue) ensuring that they have lost every LL game they trailed at half-time (L9) and nine of 12 (W1, D2) when conceding the opening goal.
- In fact, Espanyol have an incredible goal difference of -19 across the nine games in which they were down at half-time, which has contributed to them failing to cover the +1.5 goal handicap in all but two of their 12 LL defeats so far.
- Players to watch: Karl Toko Ekambi loves playing Espanyol, with goals in three of his four H2H encounters (inc. cups).
- Sergi Darder has taken on Villarreal more than any other Spanish opposition, scoring in four of his last ten H2H contests (inc. cups).
- Stat attack: Villarreal have won the ‘race to three corners’ just once at home this season.
- Three of Espanyol’s last five LL fixtures have seen a player from either side sent off.
- The home team on the day has won just two of the nine LL games that referee Pablo González Fuertes has been in charge of (D4, L3).